Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Feb 28th - Novice Canoe Race!


I paddled 12 kilometers down the Berg River in a double kayak. The atmosphere of the event was very laid back, not a stressful race at all. It was really fun!

My partner had done a few races before, so it was nice to have someone experienced to steer. Our boat had a leak in it, and since I was sitting in the back I had the foot pumps for pumping out water so I was doing that constantly. We also had to get out at the side a few times and dump water out. The river was also fairly shallow in places, so we had to get out and push the boat a few yards. But other than that it was smooth sailing.

The group of people in the canoe club is really friendly and I enjoy spending time with them. I am pretty much the only American in the club, so it is nice to experience a side of South Africa without American influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment