Monday, February 23, 2015

Feb 10th- UCT Society Fair!

This Monday through Wednesday, the main stretch on UCT’s campus is packed full of societies (clubs) booths as they recruit new members. The atmosphere was lively and fun, with live music and performances and a fro-yo truck. Most societies have a fee to join, but foreign exchange students get to join 3 societies for free.

I knew before I even came to Cape Town that I would join the Mountain and Ski Club (MSC). They go rock climbing every Friday and on the weekends. They also sometimes go on hikes and other excursions during the week. They do some community projects too, such as getting rid of invasive alien plants.

Another club I am planning on joining is the volleyball club. They practice indoors twice a week, and on the weekends, they play beach and train too. I also want to try something new while I am here, so I am going to join the canoe club. They mainly do river paddling, and a lot of their members are really good and do races. I’ll just join for fun. They practice twice during the week and on Saturdays.

So my weekends are going to be very full, and I will probably have a hard time deciding what to do! But I like to keep myself busy and active. I might also join a social club that has certain events, but not sure about that yet, as the sport clubs also do their own social things.

No comments:

Post a Comment