Monday, February 9, 2015

Feb. 6th – My Independent Research Project & Shopping for Summer Clothes

My independent research project is off to a good start. Essentially, I am going to be analyzing the water recycling system at a BRT station in Cape Town which was put in two years ago. The project will entail system description, baseline assessment, and water balance.

The UCT civil engineering department is eager to learn about how the system works. The BRT station has green roofs, permeable pavement, etc. and the system collects rainfall and recycles it to wash the buses. So I will be doing some detective work, then analyzing the system and looking for areas of improvement, and doing some water quality testing at various stages of the system.

My project supervisor is Professor Neil Armitage. Kirsty Carden, a project manager, is also helping, along with David Ellis, a graduate student.

I met with Kristy briefly today regarding the ethics form clearance I have to do. She has been great about getting contacts for me, and her, David and I are going to to on a site visit soon. I am excited for this project!

In the afternoon, I went to Cavendish Mall in Claremont with Sara and Mercer, my cooking group, and we bought dinner groceries for the week. It has become a weekly ritual to go to this mall because the grocery stores are nicer than the ones by our house, so getting produce and meat is much safer.

Then I did a little shopping. I did not bring enough dresses and summer clothes to Cape Town!

Later in the evening, we had a super fun pizza night. One girl organized the whole thing and bought all the ingredients and we paid her back. Everyone chipped in helping make the dough, getting the toppings ready, putting the pizzas together, and of course eating.

We did it in the house next door where two of the students live because they have two ovens and our main house has one. We experienced load shedding from 6:00-8:30, so we got everything ready. While we were waiting to throw the pizzas in the oven, we had a group meeting about house cleanliness and other things along those lines.

We are trying to organize a trip for the end of the week to Addo Elephant Park in Eastern Cape. The drive is along the Garden Route, one of the most scenic roads ever! We would be renting cars, and I might be driving on the left side of the road for the first time of my life!

We will see if we get our act together, but I hope we go! If we do not go, I will visit Mareli and Jan at their farm. If we do go, then I will visit Mareli the next weekend.