Monday, February 9, 2015

Feb 5th – Registering for Classes

I registered for classes today!  I am taking a second year surveying course in the Architecture/Geomatics Department of Engineering. This is a good foundation course for civil engineers. I did a bit of surveying in my civil engineering internship last summer, so I am excited to learn how to do it.

This class meets every day from Monday through Friday and has a practical (laboratory) too. My other course is an honors level EGS (Environmental and Georgraphical Science) course called Water Resource Management. I am really excited for this in-depth material; honors courses meet once a week and are structured like a graduate course.

Undergraduate degrees at UCT are three years, and if you want to do honors (fourth), you have to reapply. So I will be in a small class setting and hope to gain a lot from this. Some of the material might tie in nicely to my research project.

In the evening, we went to First Thursdays - on the first Thursday of the month in Cape Town, there are a bunch of art galleries open for free and live music on the streets. It was fun walking around in such an upbeat atmosphere, and we found some great restaurants.