Monday, February 9, 2015

Feb 1st – Spending the Day With Mareli and Jan

I had a wonderful day today! Mareli, my old au pair from South Africa who lives about two hours from Cape Town on a farm, and her husband Jan, took me out to lunch. They were in Cape Town for a party the night before. 

Mareli and Jan took me on a scenic drive from my house in Mowbray to Hout Bay, past the rich scenic Llandudno, and then through Camps Bay and Clifton Bays. Jan and I walked for a bit on Clifton 4th beach (Mareli is very pregnant and did not want to go down the stairs to the beach).

Then we ate at this amazing restaurant by the water with a great view. I had some delicious seared tuna.

Afterwards, we drove a little further to Seapoint for some gelato by the beach. Mareli and Jan were so friendly, and it instantly felt like being with family with them. I have not seen Mareli since I was six, so it is really special to still have this relationship. They gave me a big box of apples they picked for me to share with my housemates as we departed. I am planning on visiting them on their farm next weekend!

The rest of the day was spent finishing an essay due the next morning.